As luck would have it, my U River Cruise began in one of my fave cities in the world- Amsterdam.
It’s so easy to see why Amsterdam is extremely popular – the canals, the cultural freedoms, the diversity of people and food, the history, art and design, and a much envied bike culture.
There’s many cities I love to visit, but there’s only a handful that I could actually imagine, packing up all my stuff and moving to.
So what does a girl do with an Afternoon in Amsterdam- well she walks, she watches, she shops, she eats, she keeps it simple. Amsterdam is one of those cities that doesn’t really require an itinerary- just being there is fun enough. So I’ll simply leave you with some images and 5 must do’s. Scroll down for the list.
- Don’t just walk along the canal, get into a boat and get the full experience and views from the water
- Rent a bike, but only if you know what your’e doing. Cycling here is so much a way of life, I promise you it’s not like anywhere else. So I recommend for comfortable cyclists who can deal with cycling traffic, cars, pedestrians and trams
- Hop on a tram and get lost a little. They almost all end at Central, so take it from Central to any other stop to see some more of the city and then head back when you’re done.
- Eat Surinamese food and Stroopwafels for dessert. The little island country of Suriname is a former Dutch colony- and due to movement of slave laborers across Dutch Colonies, Surinamese food is an interesting mix of Dutch, Indonesian, Indian, Chinese, African, and Caribbean influences. Some of the best Surinamese food can be found in Amsterdam. Once you’ve had your fill, try Stroopwafels- these chewy crispy waffles are a must and come with a variety of fillings- from Caramel to chocolate and more.
- Coffee Shop visit: You know you wanna- so just do it. There’ll be no judgment here.
Amsterdam Does it Better!